RARE Early 1950s Cole of California Cherry Red Bathing Suit
Esther Williams, Marilyn Monroe, Farrah Fawcet, Pamela Anderson, and Wendy Peffercorn. What do these women all have in common? They all understood the undeniable power of the iconic bright red swimsuit.
This stunning Cole of California maillot in a RARE vintage size 18 (modern size 12/14) in breathtaking bright cherry red, is sure to turn heads at the beach this summer!
Featuring a figure-flattering "Ballet Bodice", signature of 50s swimwear. Decorative but thoughtful pleating across the sweetheart bust and more across the hips to enhance and accentuate a womanly hourglass shape. Multiple button holes on the straps allow for adjustable lengths and for the piece to be worn a variety ways - straight, criss-crossed, or tied behind the neck in a halter style. The straps can be secured in the back using the original lucite fisheye buttons. This suit is made of a cotton/rubber blend - a fairly new fabric development at the time. As such, despite the fabric's new innate stretchy nature, the piece retains the closure typically seen of its 100% cotton predecessors - an original metal zipper up the center back with a cotton snap panel.
Such a unique piece for any vintage collector! If she were my size I ABSOLUTELY would be keeping her!
This piece is in Excellent vintage condition (see condition chart below) The color is very slightly faded from the sun, but still plenty vibrant, and the tags show some fraying/fading as well. But these are to be expected with a piece around 70yrs old. All are barely, if at all, noticeable while wearing. Still lots of life left!
As stated earlier, this piece is labeled a vintage size 18 which is about the equivalent of a modern US size 12/14. But please see measurements below for an accurate fit.
Bust: up to 40"
Waist: up to 32"
Hips: up to 42"
Total Length (from top of bust to bottom hem line: 24"
- Returns are accepted on this item
- Refund will be given less a 20% restocking fee. Refunds will not be given for shipping or return shipping
- Returns must be shipped back in the same condition as they were received. Any/all accessories, and packaging must be included and any original hang tags must be attached.
- Deadstock or NOS- Vintage garment possibly in original packaging, never used. These items may have fading, staining or other issues from years of storage, visible flaws will be noted.
- Mint- Pristine as the day it was made, shows no signs of wear.
- Near Mint- Item shows only the slightest signs of wear.
- Excellent- Item shows typical signs of wear due to occasional use.
- Very Good- Item is wearable, but has some surface flaws such as fading or staining.
- Good- Item is wearable, but cannot be returned to excellent condition even with repairs.
- Fair- Item is barely wearable, could be used for a costume or as a project piece.
- Poor- Item is not wearable and could only be used for repurposing or a pattern.