Late 1960s / Early 1970s Marty Gutmacher Mod Double Breasted Trench Coat
This striking green & navy, geometric patterned trench coat from the late 1960s to early 1970s, perfectly encapsulates the evolution of trends happening in the fashion world at that point in time, when the future met the past!
The bright bold colors & pattern are emblematic of the space age, mod movement in the early 60s, but by the late 60s, you could see a distinct movement away from the boxy, child-like forms. Trading in mini's for slightly longer hemlines; high necklines & square silhouettes for wide, notched lapels & hourglass cinched waists. This is partly because designers like Yves St Laurent, around this time, began to look backwards, to the 1940s for style influences.
But equally, if not more influential to the fashion industry at the time, was the emergence & momentum of the Women's Lib movement! Women were entering the workforce in record numbers & the demand for practical but stylish professional attire needed to be filled! Diane Von Furstenberg’s iconic wrap dress broke sales records because of the design's versatility. Fun & colorful, flattering & comfortable. This jacket checks all the same boxes. And likewise, can be styled many different ways.
Made out of 100% Celanese Fortrel Polyester - a higher end polyester which boasts beauty, softness & easy care. The jacket is machine washable & eliminates the need for ironing. (another consideration for the working woman). The patterned fabric also has a really unique 3D brocade-like texture to it. It is lightweight with some stretch but provides a good amount of warmth.
This piece is in AMAZING vintage condition. Featuring all its original waistcoat style buttons, down the double-breasted front, as well as on the two large front pockets with faux flaps. It also still has the original tie belt.
100% Textured Celanese Fortrel Polyester
Mint vintage condition (see condition chart below).
Please see measurements below for an accurate fit. (note there is a lot of opportunity to easily adjust the size of this piece by simply opening or moving the buttons as needed)
Measurements (taken fully buttoned):
Waist: 26-35" (because of tie)
Hips: up tp 40"
Sleeve length (shoulder to wrist): 22.5"
(1" of extra cuff available to lengthen if needed)
Sleeve width (at bicep): 11" around
Total Length (shoulder to hem): 33"
(2" of extra hem available to lengthen if needed)
- Returns are accepted on this item
- Refund will be given less a 20% restocking fee. Refunds will not be given for shipping or return shipping
- Returns must be shipped back in the same condition as they were received. Any/all accessories, and packaging must be included and any original hang tags must be attached.
- Deadstock or NOS- Vintage garment possibly in original packaging, never used. These items may have fading, staining or other issues from years of storage, visible flaws will be noted.
- Mint- Pristine as the day it was made, shows no signs of wear.
- Near Mint- Item shows only the slightest signs of wear.
- Excellent- Item shows typical signs of wear due to occasional use.
- Very Good- Item is wearable, but has some surface flaws such as fading or staining.
- Good- Item is wearable, but cannot be returned to excellent condition even with repairs.
- Fair- Item is barely wearable, could be used for a costume or as a project piece.
- Poor- Item is not wearable and could only be used for repurposing or a pattern.