1990s Datiani Hand-Dyed Little Red Dress
A real life makeover story just in time for Valentine's Day. This dress is ALL THAT!
Giving total Laney Boggs, Cher Horowitz, 90's girl vibes. This little red dress is as fun and flirtatious as they come. Flattering empire waist with edgy burnout satin bust. Slinky spaghetti straps. And flowy chiffon draped over silky red lining.
Hard to believe this dress started its life an entirely different color. When it originally came into my posession it was a rather dull and dingy, flat eggshell color. I'd been thinking about giving her a makeover (Clueless style) for sometime. And maybe it's the fact that Valentine's Day is around the corner, or maybe I was simply craving a bit of bold red to shake off the winter blues, but this week I finally felt adventurous enough to take the plunge!
Dip dyed by hand. Sealed with a Synthropol wash (to prevent color bleeding). Deep cleaned and rinsed, rinsed and rinsed again. Air dried, a good steaming and ...Voila! This fiesty little red-head is ready for the party!
LOVE how the dye took so differently to the various fabrics. The burnout satin bust is now a deep rich red and really pops against the matte red of the chiffon which is, again, beautifully contrasted against the soft blush pink of the satin straps . It gives the piece so much more dimension than it had before. The dip dying technique also resulted in some areas of the chiffon taking the dye more than others - creating a subtle, almost watercolor-like effect when you look close.
One of a kind, vintage piece with an artistic revival.
Perhaps I'm biased, but I'm in luuurve!
Bust - Polyester Burn Out Satin
Overlay - Rayon and Silk Chiffon
Lining - Acetate
Special Care Instructions:
Because of delicate fabrics as well as the hand dying, DO NOT MACHINE WASH. Either hand wash separately in cold water. Or dry clean. Hang dry. Cool iron or steam to remove wrinkles.
Very Good to Excellent (see condition chart below).
Closest to a modern US size 4-6, but not labeled so please see measurements below for an accurate fit.
Total Length: 33"
- Returns are accepted on this item
- Refund will be given less a 20% restocking fee. Refunds will not be given for shipping or return shipping
- Returns must be shipped back in the same condition as they were received. Any/all accessories, and packaging must be included and any original hang tags must be attached.
- Deadstock or NOS- Vintage garment possibly in original packaging, never used. These items may have fading, staining or other issues from years of storage, visible flaws will be noted.
- Mint- Pristine as the day it was made, shows no signs of wear.
- Near Mint- Item shows only the slightest signs of wear.
- Excellent- Item shows typical signs of wear due to occasional use.
- Very Good- Item is wearable, but has some surface flaws such as fading or staining.
- Good- Item is wearable, but cannot be returned to excellent condition even with repairs.
- Fair- Item is barely wearable, could be used for a costume or as a project piece.
- Poor- Item is not wearable and could only be used for repurposing or a pattern.