1980s "Olympic Red" SKYR Unisex Snow Bib
The amazing and historic events of this past inauguration week have me feeling a renewed sense of inspiration for all things RED, WHITE and BLUE! And if that weren't exciting enough, as of this week, its official - the Tokyo Olympics are moving ahead this summer!
So, for a multitude of reasons, this adorable pair of mid 1980's "Olympic Red" snow bibs couldn't be a more perfect item to showcase this week. Produced by SKYR (Scandia Trading Co.), a leading brand in ski and active sportswear since the early 1960s. The 1984 Serejevo Winter Olympics and the US team, led by champions like Christin Cooper and Bill Johnson, helped to popularize this style of snow pant and in particular, this bright red color, to an international level . The 1990s saw a resurgence of red in designer sportswear from brands like Tommy Hilfiger and Polo. And by the late 90s/early 2000s the "puffy" red pant was fully incorporated into streetwear fashion. Ralph Lauren brought the trend back into "preppy" circles when he became the official designer of the uniforms for the U.S. Olympic teams in 2008. Needless to say, red has and always will be a major fashion player.
Before listing, this pair was in dire need of a deep cleaning and also had a quite a few little tears that needed mending. I have loved the process of bringing these back to life, using a combination of hand stitching and machine mending techniques. The process of healing splits and tears can be delicate and time consuming, but so worth it in the end. Borrowing from the Japanese art of kintsugi, I personally feel that repairs are something to be celebrated not hidden. They are a beautiful part of the garment's story. When I see the repairs on this piece, I imagine all the fun the previous wearer had in them. And how much potential fun they still have in store for their next owner.
Technically labeled as a US Men's sz L. But as with everything, (especially in fashion) gender labels are relative. I very much consider this a unisex piece. And considering the historic political "gender rules" broken this week, I think its only fitting to break some fashion "gender rules" this week as well.
Warm, comfy, fun and versatile. The bibs include a large front zipper pocket, a back zipper pocket, and a convenient built in D ring to clipyour keys to. They even include a zipper fly panel for easy access when nature calls. (how come "women's" garments don't come with considerations like this? seriously.)
Snow bib details:
Nylon and Polyester
After cleaning and repairs, this piece is in Good/Very Good condition (see condition chart below). Some slight fading is visable on the knees and rear. There are a few remaining tiny stains (pics included above), and of course, the results of mending can also be seen (see before and after pics above). So many years of love left to give!
US Mens size L, but please see measurements below.
Also note, there is also a lot of flexibility to the sizing of this piece because of the adjustable suspender straps and elastic back piece. Also consider these can be worn on their own or over top other pants.
Measurements (taken laying flat not stretched):
Bust: adjustable because of sliding elastic straps
Waist: 36" flat (can stretch up to 40")
Hips: up to 41"
Inseam: 31" - plus built in boot gaiters which extend out of the leg to cover your boots and provide extra weather protection, while also providing a bit of extra length
Total Length: adjustable because of sliding elastic straps
- Returns are accepted on this item
- Refund will be given less a 20% restocking fee. Refunds will not be given for shipping or return shipping
- Returns must be shipped back in the same condition as they were received. Any/all accessories, and packaging must be included and any original hang tags must be attached.
- Deadstock or NOS- Vintage garment possibly in original packaging, never used. These items may have fading, staining or other issues from years of storage, visible flaws will be noted.
- Mint- Pristine as the day it was made, shows no signs of wear.
- Near Mint- Item shows only the slightest signs of wear.
- Excellent- Item shows typical signs of wear due to occasional use.
- Very Good- Item is wearable, but has some surface flaws such as fading or staining.
- Good- Item is wearable, but cannot be returned to excellent condition even with repairs.
- Fair- Item is barely wearable, could be used for a costume or as a project piece.
- Poor- Item is not wearable and could only be used for repurposing or a pattern.