1963 Black and White Reverse Tuxedo Column Dress
Timelessly chic! This color blocked, black and white beauty is oh so Audrey! Simple, sophisticated and elegant. The ideal 1960s silhouette - high bateau neckline, flattering French bust darts (sewn diagonally from the waist), and an elongating sleek column skirt - with a super unique, modern reverse-double-breasted tuxedo design in the back. Based on the union label, this dress was constructed between 1963-64. She was in a bit of distress when I got her - some torn seams, underarm discoloration, rust stained buttons, an old lipstick stain on the front etc etc. But she has been lovingly and painstakingly returned to her full glory! Deep cleaned, all seams repaired, small tear on inner lining has been hand stitched closed (see pic above) and the absolute KILLER original 1960s fabric covered, metal full ball "mushroom" buttons were meticulously deconstructed so that each element could be individually cleaned and restored (see pics for before and after). So much work, but the end result speaks for itself. Now in Excellent to Near Mint condition (see condition chart below)
Some other unique features - hand stitched snaps and closures for a form hugging fit. Bra strap holders on each shoulder to keep everything in place and a snap-in-place ribbon inside the skirt to keep it from opening in the back when you walk/dance/glide throughout the evening.
No label, but I believe it to be a cotton sateen blend
Excellent to near mint (see condition chart below).
The dress is closest to a modern US size 2-4 but please see measurements below for an accurate fit.
Total Length: 52" (from shoulder to hem)
Hemline: 2" (could be let out to lengthen the dress)
- Returns are accepted on this item
- Refund will be given less a 20% restocking fee. Refunds will not be given for shipping or return shipping
- Returns must be shipped back in the same condition as they were received. Any/all accessories, and packaging must be included and any original hang tags must be attached.
- Deadstock or NOS- Vintage garment possibly in original packaging, never used. These items may have fading, staining or other issues from years of storage, visible flaws will be noted.
- Mint- Pristine as the day it was made, shows no signs of wear.
- Near Mint- Item shows only the slightest signs of wear.
- Excellent- Item shows typical signs of wear due to occasional use.
- Very Good- Item is wearable, but has some surface flaws such as fading or staining.
- Good- Item is wearable, but cannot be returned to excellent condition even with repairs.
- Fair- Item is barely wearable, could be used for a costume or as a project piece.
- Poor- Item is not wearable and could only be used for repurposing or a pattern.