1960s Kelly Green Watteau Back Gown
To the Irish it's lucky, to the French it's killer, but this alluring shade of emerald green has undeniably enchanted the fashion world for centuries. Sure to make onlookers utterly green with envy.
This gown was most likely a custom order by a for-hire seamstress for a private client. It was clearly made in the image of the high end gowns that were coming out of the couture fashion houses (like Balenciaga, Pierre Cardin and Capucci) in the early 1960s.
The boat neck, cinched waist, pleated skirt and sweet little bows on the front as well as on both 3/4 length sleeves.
The most stunning feature however is the detachable watteau train! BE STILL MY HEART this back is gorgeous!
Designers in the 60s were greatly inspired by the fashions of the 1700s, including gowns like the iconic Robe à la Française which featured stunning fabric draped backs. The watteau train on this piece is easily attached and detached via a series of hook and eyes. It also cleverly and seamlessly conceals the original metal zipper up the center back of the gown.
This piece did require a bit of restoration. Some signs of wear are present. It looks like the dress was taken out at two of the seams at some point, and signs of the original stitching is faintly visable. This is on the back however, and is covered by the watteau train when attached. A bit of color uneveness which is typical on bright colored vintage pieces. There were a couple small holes which have been stitched or reinforced with fusible bonding. (all pictured above and none of which are noticeable when wearing).
No label. Looks and feels to be a poly/silk satin blend
Very Good to Excellent vintage condition
(see condition chart below).
No label. Closest to a modern US size 2, but please see measurements below for an accurate fit.
Bicep: 12" circ.
Total Length: 52"
(with 1.5"of extra hem available to lengthen if needed)
- Returns are accepted on this item
- Refund will be given less a 20% restocking fee. Refunds will not be given for shipping or return shipping
- Returns must be shipped back in the same condition as they were received. Any/all accessories, and packaging must be included and any original hang tags must be attached.
- Deadstock or NOS- Vintage garment possibly in original packaging, never used. These items may have fading, staining or other issues from years of storage, visible flaws will be noted.
- Mint- Pristine as the day it was made, shows no signs of wear.
- Near Mint- Item shows only the slightest signs of wear.
- Excellent- Item shows typical signs of wear due to occasional use.
- Very Good- Item is wearable, but has some surface flaws such as fading or staining.
- Good- Item is wearable, but cannot be returned to excellent condition even with repairs.
- Fair- Item is barely wearable, could be used for a costume or as a project piece.
- Poor- Item is not wearable and could only be used for repurposing or a pattern.