1950s Persian Lambswool Coat with Mink Collar
Serving Vampy Vintage Villainess Vibes
This luxurious late 1950s / early 1960s, silky soft, curly, black Persian lambswool coat goes from Agnes to Agatha with the flip of a collar. Like some kind of dark magic!
Lambswool coats have been a staple in high end winter fashion for decades, and reached new heights of popularity in the 50s thanks to Italian couture designer, Elsa Schiaparelli. They were soon considered "THE GIFT SUPREME" for "well-dressed women the world over"!
This piece is from Mendelson's Furs (est. 1949), of Pratt street aka "the 5th Ave of Downtown Hartford" - which in its day, had a well established reputation for being one of the premiere furriers for the fashionable women of Connecticut.
Very warm but not overly heavy. Classic 1950s sillhouette with 3/4 length sleeves. Features heavy duty hook and eyes for versatile styling options of the plush mink fur collar. Original fabric rosette dome buttons. Two large exterior slit pockets as well as one hidden slit pocket inside. Ooky-spooky, psychadelic pattern on interior lining, embroidered with the original owner's initials... ASM... could that perhaps be for Agatha of Salem Massachusettes???
Curly Persian Lambswool
Mink fur collar
Excellent vintage condition (see condition chart below). There are a few small bare spots - one on edge of label near the top button hole and one along the back collar edge near the label (pictured above). Not noticable at all when wearing. The coat could probably do with a good conditioning treatment - it's a little stiff in the shoulders/armseye as well as around the buttons, but overall not too bad.
No size on label. Although it is marked with a small letter "M" in ink, which I assume means medium. However, I would say this coat would be best for a modern US size small. Please see measurements below for an accurate fit.
Measurements (taken laying flat while fully buttoned):
Bust: up to 41"
Waist: up to 43"
Hips: up to 45"
Sleeve width (at bicep): 16" circumference
Total Length (from shoulder to hem): 34"
"The gift supreme" for your Sorceress Supreme
- Returns are accepted on this item
- Refund will be given less a 20% restocking fee. Refunds will not be given for shipping or return shipping
- Returns must be shipped back in the same condition as they were received. Any/all accessories, and packaging must be included and any original hang tags must be attached.
- Deadstock or NOS- Vintage garment possibly in original packaging, never used. These items may have fading, staining or other issues from years of storage, visible flaws will be noted.
- Mint- Pristine as the day it was made, shows no signs of wear.
- Near Mint- Item shows only the slightest signs of wear.
- Excellent- Item shows typical signs of wear due to occasional use.
- Very Good- Item is wearable, but has some surface flaws such as fading or staining.
- Good- Item is wearable, but cannot be returned to excellent condition even with repairs.
- Fair- Item is barely wearable, could be used for a costume or as a project piece.
- Poor- Item is not wearable and could only be used for repurposing or a pattern.